The World According to JJK

Monday, September 11, 2006

5 years later

So I know I haven't been one to post lately but like most Americans I can't help but reflect on 9/11. It's one of those moments that will be ingrained in everyone who experienced it, and we all will be answering the question "where were you when it happened" to our children and grandchildren much like those older than us will talk about Pearl Harbor, Kennedy, or the Challenger explosion.

For me it was a day like any other, I woke up and since I didn't have class that day I spent the morning checking websites and doing some studying. The phone rang around 9 AM and it was Linda who called to ask if she could borrow a tv for her office. Being the sarcastic one I am I said something to the effect of "don't you have enough work to keep you busy?" She quickly replied that I needed to turn on the tv. I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast that day, what class I was studying for, or even what channel I was on, because it didn't matter at that moment in time.

I remember calling my mom to ask if everything was ok up at Eglin and she said that Dad would be coming home early today. I remember telling her that I loved her and to tell Dad the same, and also remember asking where Flight 93 went down in PA, since we have quite a few relatives up there.

The student body present, one of my fraternity brothers, was organizing students on campus around 11 AM, and I was supposed to be at work by 12. I remember not even hesitating after he asked for my help when I called my boss and told him I wasn't coming in that day because I was going to help out on campus. He seemed upset at first but then he understood. The blood drive that we started organizing over at the Home Depot on Dale Mabry was so crowded with donors that by the time we finally got over there to give our donations there was a 6 hour wait to do so.

I say all these things not to brag that I served a greater purpose that day than anyone else, because I didn't. Truth is no matter what I did that day, it pales in comparison to what first responders at ground zero or passengers on Flight 93 did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home